The Pulpit. Note the Pulpit Desk. The chairs, possibly Chippendale design, much modernized, the communion table, a design from Norman times. Note also the seeming depth on the flat wall between columns. The wall of course is flat, and the appearance of depth is made by the painted design. This was used in some later Colonial churches, though probably the first decoration back of the pulpit was the more common one, a plain painted wall.
The caption above is from Reverend Yale's 1940 notes on the photo collection. The Enfield Congregational Church still stands at 1295 Enfield St.